Perhaps one of the most important aspects of becoming an author is creating a solid author platform. But what does that mean…author platform?
Once your book is complete and you publish, then what? If you think your readers are going to come seek you out or are going to stumble upon your book, I’m here to tell you, it doesn’t work like that. Marketing your book is an ongoing process, and the best way to prepare for a book launch is by setting up a solid author platform well in advance. Your publisher may join you in some marketing, but the majority of marketing efforts are all your own.
As a publisher and author coach, I’m often asked by my clients, “When should I start building my platform?”
My answer is simple: “The moment you decide you want to write a book.”
You might be wondering why you would want to start building an author platform before you even begin writing. Simply stated: Finding your tribe takes time, as does gaining their trust, often more time than it takes to write the book.
If you are an aspiring author, or perhaps even a published
author who is having trouble finding an audience to market your book to,
this online course
Building an Author Platform may be right for you.
Module One: Branding YOU and Finding Your Target Audience
- Develop your unique brand that sets you apart from your competition
- Creating a branding board and mood board that you'll use to keep your branding consistent across all platforms and designs
- Clearly define your ideal avatar and the best ways to reach your target audience
- Create an author biography, both a short and long version (yes, you need both! I'll teach you why, when and where to use each)
Module Two: Your Author Website & Blog
- Step-by-step process to build an author website (and all the key pages and elements you need to add!)
- Domain registration and web hosting (where to get it and how to integrate it)
- How to add a blog to your site
- What a blog post should entail including SEO, word count, topics of interest, keywords and categories
Module Three: Setting Up Your Mailing List & Newsletter
- Step-by-step instructions to set up your list and start collecting leads
- How to add an email signup form to your website
- Create a lead magnet (freebie) that entices your target audience to join your list
- Create an opt-in to automatically deliver your lead magnet
- Set up an email campaign to begin communicating with your list regularly
- BONUS: How to set up a sales funnel for your book!
Module Four: Let's Get Social!
- Which social media platforms to join and how to set up your business/author pages on each
- Design tutorials to show you how to easily create logos, banners & graphics that match your unique branding
- How often to post and what to post to grow your following and entice interaction
- How to use Facebook advertising effectively to drive traffic to your website and grow your list
- Clever ways to reach your target audience through blogging, guest blogging, social media and video
- Everything you need to know to get started on Facebook LIVE (The fastest growing tool you can use to reach and grow your tribe!)
As with all my courses, participants gain lifetime access to the
course materials. Some of the pieces may
take longer than others to implement, and since you have lifetime access, there's no rush to finish
by a certain date.
StartVideo: Finding Your Target Audience & Creating an Elevator Pitch (6:28)
StartVideo: Crafting an Author Bio (2:44)
StartVideo: Developing Your Unique Brand (8:17)
StartVideo Tutorial: Create a Branding Board with Pinterest (10:15)
StartVideo Tutorial: Create a Mood Board with PicMonkey (15:58)
StartVideo: Creating an Author Website (15:52)
StartVideo Tutorial - Creating a Website with Weebly (38:22)
StartVideo Tutorial - Creating a Website with Squarespace (24:26)
StartVideo Tutorial - Creating a Website with WordPress (29:20)
StartVideo Tutorial - Forwarding a Domain in GoDaddy (1:52)
StartDesign Turorial - Creating an Author Logo with Canva (6:42)
StartDesign Tutorial Video - PicMonkey & Canva for Buttons/Headers/Graphics (14:26)
StartPDF: Blogging Tips for Success